How Arlan got Mark Cuban's attention
This is a case study on how Arlan build a relationship with Mark Cuban and gained investment from him.
- Mark Cuban owns the Mavericks and is featured on Shark Tank.
- Arlan met Mark Cuban at SXSW 2019 at the Twitter House (who asked them to speak on stage together).
- They developed a relationship and Mark invested $1Million as a limited partner to Arlan’s ArlanWasHere Fund.
- Mark Cuban and Arlan Hamilton invested in Mahmee together.
- The ArlanWasHere Fund led Mahmee’s round. Mark saw something on Arlan that wanted to make him invest in her.
How Arlan got Mark’s attention?
- Reputation proceeded Arlan.
- She treated him fairly and kindly, knew her stuff and was prepared.
- When Mark approached Arlan for investment, Mark saw Arlan’s differentiated views, sensibility, relatability, and access to founders (e.g., women, LGBTQ) that other venture capitalists don’t have access to.
- Mark saw Arlan’s value and invested in her.